Thursday, March 23, 2006

Pride

Here's another one of Terry Andersons, accompanied by an excerpt from his memoir, "Den of Lions."

"I rarely ask God for freedom anymore. He knows how much I want to go home - I've already told Him so many times. Instead, I pray for patience, acceptance and strength for myself. I give thanks for what I've had. I havent become a saint, or anywhere near it. I still rage, and sometimes I want to scream in frustration. But less frequently. I'm still deeply unhappy and lonely. But I know I'll live through this. I will be free someday, and I will use what I I've learned about myself properly.

PRIDE

Pride goeth before a fall, they say.
I fall often, but my pride remains.
My dignity is tattered,
my reputation a bit bespattered.
My hair goeth, and my teeth.
My belly saggeth; my arches, too.
But pride stands regally,
a stubborn Ozymandias
astride his crumbling kingdom,
my, and man's, despair