Monday, June 30, 2008

Two or three good lines

I dont know jack about poems
I only know that once,
when I was very young I was

Alone.

So I wrote it down and kept
it in an old Elvis record sleeve
And I kept on writing it down
and I never showed anyone
Except God.

He saw...

Even though I hid them from his gentle
burning eye and screamed, NO!
What do you know about it?!
And I sat on the top of my parents roof,
in the rain and thunder and dared
him to strike me dead.

But he knew,
Knew I loved them
And wanted him to love them too

Then I applied for that writing course,
and the woman said,
"you wrote two or three good lines here."
we both looked at the words
like they were an unusual oddity,
and I knew they were the good ones too.
But when I got the acceptance letter,
I realized that they only let me in
to get the course fee
And anyway, while I sat in the hall waiting
to be interviewed with the others, I heard
two people talking about poetry
And they sounded like they knew something
I didnt want to know anything
All I wanted was to squeeze two or three
good lines from my loneliness
And thats what I did.
Thats what Im trying to do.